Spernall parish has the River Arrow on the west and the Alne Hills on the east. The village consists only of the church and rectory and a few scattered farms and cottages. At some time between 1195 and 1361 the parish was largely depopulated.
The Rectory is a brick-built house of rectangular plan facing north, and is probably of early-18th-century date. The walls were plastered and a south wing added in 1800.