Ettington was once two settlements, Upper Eatington and Lowers Eatington, on the turnpike roads from Stratford to Banbury and Warwick to Moreton-in-Marsh.
Ettington Park has been the home to the Shirley family since the Domesday book, the census commissioned by William the Conqueror, the estate and fine house is now a four star hotel which was built between 1858-62. It is a fine example of the French and Italian Gothic style of architecture promoted by John Ruskin, a poet, artist, critic, social revolutionary and ardent conservationist of the day. The last Shirley resident, Sewallis, the original family name from the Domesday Book, was the founder of the Kennel Club. The Friend's Meeting House was established in 1681 and the Church dedicated to the Holy Trinity and Thomas à Becket.
To find out more about this interesting village vist the Ettington Village Website.