The name Claverdon comes from 'clover hill', the centre of the scattered parish, developing in a fine elevated position, with outlying hamlets and farms. A popular village, it has modern development along with interesting older buildings: the forge; The Stone Building;
St Michael's Church; and 16th and 17th century half-timbered cottages. Yarningale Common lies on the outskirts.
A branch of the Spencer family were lords of the manor from 1568 until 1716. Diana Princess of Wales was descended from a branch of this family.
Claverdon has had a parish church of Saint Michael and All Angels since 1150's. The oldest part of the present Church of England parish church dates from the 14th century.